Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I'm Out . . . Of Excuses

I'll put it out point-blank first off. I'm entirely out of excuses. I could rant on about how hard it is to get into college classes, make sure you're ahead in your regular high-school classes, finding time to write, read, and be with your family, and, and, and, and, and. . . . But I won't. You know why? Because if I were a reader of my blog, I wouldn't want to hear it either. We're all busy. Just so happens that my busy interfered with my blog. So please forgive me.

First off, I haven't written anything in quite a while, and it feels as if I'm starving. So I guess I'd better hurry up and write something (duh). Next, LUX is too cliche, so I don't know why I'm bothering; TIME LOCK is like me tyrying to mimick Way of Kings (scale wise); so I decided that I should write something simple, meaningful, fairly short, yet good. That thought led me to brainstomring. Which led me to possibly the most original, compelling, interesting, rapturous (all other adjectives you can use even if they're not contextually aplicable) idea I've had yet. This YA novel is to be called THREE FRIENDS, and probably only 50K words. The basic premise is as follows: "Three old friends -- each suffering from serious problems -- meet up unexpectedly in a convenient store, where they get trapped, with no way out, and no one there to help them." This book is currently in the plotting and characterization stage; I should be starting the first draft within the next month.

Now, you might be thinking something along the lines of: "Man, can't this dude ever get it together and just decide on something?!" The answer is, I don't really know. I hope that the current decision is the right one. Let's see what happens. There is, however, one thing I am  absolutely sure of: if I don't start -- and stick -- with something fast, my writing's never going to move forward.

The biggest problem is procrastination (namely, netflix [Dr. Who]). I'm just going to have to give it up for a long, long while. Haha. It sounds like such a horrible thing. . . .

Anyway, the book of the week is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Now, I have not actually read this book, but my good friend, Madeleine Parkinston (the woman who made the last post possible), has, and she says it's "a way to plunge into the world of the circus."

"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

"But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

"True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead."

You can visit Erin's blog/website here -- if you so choose.

That's all for now. Hopefully, you'll hear more from me soon. Adios!

~Jared

2 comments:

  1. It happens, busy times, I mean. All you gotta do is be the best human you can be and do what you must. Thanks for taking a moment to talk about this book, though. It sounds excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome! And dude, you'll never be busier than you are right now. Adults don't work as hard as teens!

    ReplyDelete