Thursday, May 3, 2012

"Obligatory" Updates

Top of the nighttime to ya'! Maybe . . . no? Fine. Be that way. At least I have a sense of humor (never, I repeat, never, take any of this seriously =D).

Anywho (and, yes, that is a word to me. Glad you asked!), it hasn't been forever and a day since my last post! *Cues applause* I'm behind a couple days, but that's alright, isn't it?

Some of you may have noticed there there is a new novel-in-progress that is not THREE FRIENDS. Well, let me tell you why. I was sitting in science class, the day after my last post, and we were on break. i.e. I didn't have anything to do. So I took out a piece of paper. The rest is history. The idea of the story grabbed me by the lapels, and it's exactly the kind of story I've been wanting to write forever; in that there's only one POV, in first person. At the beginning, I was just having fun, I seriously didn't consider it a legitimate project that I could pick up. But then I wrote more. And more. And world building popped up, and the characters took on distinct shapes, and subplots formed. Other ideas latched on until . . . here I am with another novel. I'm not stopping until it's finished. I see no point, especially when I'm on a roll like this. Just another way to stretch my writing muscles. This book is called THE ROAD TO NOWHERE.


In the meantime, THREE FRIENDS will remain a work in progress, and will be picked up again after THE ROAD TO NOWHERE is written and revised. That's right. I'm not piddling around like I did with LUX. I'm waiting two weeks -- in which I'll probably finish plotting for THREE FRIENDS -- and then it's heavy revisions the rest of the way. The way I look at it is this: when a silversmith would make silverware, tea cups, belt buckles, etc., he wouldn't only buy the silver. No, of course not. That silver needs to be refined and molded into something beautiful. I can't keep stunting my growth because I'm afraid.

To satisfy your curiosity, should it exist, I'll give you the pre-prelude to THE ROAD TO NOWHERE, as well as the prologue.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it!


I make the creaking when no one is home. I am the voice of temptation when you’re alone. I am everywhere, yet I am nowhere. I am since the beginning, and I am till the end. I am the space when there is none. I am nothing.

Preface
            The scream cut through the walls of the Nowhere. Shrill. Scared. Then it dropped in a muffled decrescendo until it disappeared altogether. In that instant I knew there was no getting her back. She was trapped – indefinitely. No one ever came back from the Nowhere.
            A cold crushing sensation settled upon my chest, constricting my airways. My head fell to my hands, and for the first time since Dad’s death, I cried.


And, guys, this is just what kickstarted me into action! I'm so excited about this idea I could scream! Of course, the full sypnosis isn't going to be released until the first draft is complete. so you're gonna have to wait a couple months.

It is time for the book of the week! 

Book of the week, this week is The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan. And if you don't know who he is, I'm going to kick you in the pants. It's finally released! I'm not sure if I should be entirely ecstatic, depressed, or both. I've been a huge fan of this series since the beginning, and when I finally saw the last book to the trilogy at Wal-Mart yesterday, I had a heart attack. Rick Riordan is such a talented writer; especially when it comes to mystery plotlines. Absolute genius, and there's so much that we, as aspiring authors, can learn from him. Hopefully you guys have enjoyed Rick's books just as much as I have. 

When young magicians Carter and Sadie Kane learned how to follow the path of the ancient Egyptian gods, they knew they would have to play an important role in restoring Ma'at—order—to the world. What they didn't know is how chaotic the world would become. The Chaos snake Apophis is loose and threatening to destroy the earth in three days' time. The magicians are divided. The gods are disappearing, and those that remain are weak. Walt, one of Carter and Sadie's most gifted initiates, is doomed and can already feel his life force ebbing. Zia is too busy babysitting the senile sun god, Ra, to be of much help. What are a couple of teenagers and a handful of young trainees to do?
There is, possibly, one way to stop Apophis, but it is so difficult that it might cost Carter and Sadie their lives, if it even works at all. It involves trusting the ghost of a psychotic magician not to betray them, or worse, kill them. They'd have to be crazy to try. Well, call them crazy.
With hilarious asides, memorable monsters, and an ever-changing crew of friends and foes, the excitement never lets up in The Serpent's Shadow, a thoroughly entertaining and satisfying conclusion to the Kane Chronicles trilogy.


You can visit Rick Riordan's official website here. 

That's all for this week, everyone! I hope it's been a good one for you!

Happy writing!

~Jared 

No comments:

Post a Comment